Friday, November 21, 2014

Do You Struggle With Homework? (Blog Post #3 SSTR)

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/how-much-do-your-parents-help-with-your-homework/#more-152452
In response to the article above, I agree with the ideas to get parents to help out more with their child's homework. My mom always tries to help me with my homework, but ends up saying how she "hasn't been in school for years" and to just ask a friend or watch videos on the internet about it. In the long run, I end up confused and with a late homework assignment. Even though my mom isn't much help when I’m confused with homework, she helps me stay organized and have a routine so as soon as I get home, I do the most challenging part of homework first then the less challenging part last so when I feel as if I can’t do much more because I’m exhausted, all I will have left is the easier part. Homework causes conflict with my family a lot because when even a friend or the internet can’t help me, I sit there alone and confused and there is no other solution for me. When I was younger it was so much easier for my mom to help me with my homework. I mean it was basically asking what 10+10 equaled. As I have gotten older and have learned more complex things, homework help hasn't really been a thing because of how complex it is. I guess that it isn't entirely my mom’s fault though because the homework is getting a lot harder and more confusing. I just think the way she addresses the problem could be done a better way. I think if parents continue to take control with commands or even doing the homework themselves, the kids won’t get anywhere in their education and parents would just be setting their children up for failure. The kids would be just as or even more confused than before. I also think if the students have a routine to follow, it would help them stay organized and maybe even help them understand their homework more, like the routine I have. Not only should the kids have to change what they have been doing, but the parents should too. Parents and children should work together and treat one another with respect while using kind words through the homework confusion, even if screaming would be an easier option.

                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment