Thursday, September 25, 2014

Selfie Girl Breanna Mitchell (CRR #1)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/24/auschwitz-selfie-girl-breanna-mitchell_n_5618225.html

Alabama teen Breanna Mitchell posted a picture of herself in front of the Auschwitz Concentration Camp on June 20th. Later, it had become viral with people stating how the picture was inappropriate and disrespectful. Breanna came back responding with “Honestly, I don’t think I would do anything differently because I didn’t mean any harm.” Even though Breanna is getting a lot of hate for the picture, some people are supporting her. Breanna defended herself again releasing the statement “The Holocaust and World War 2 is the only thing that’s ever interested me in history.” She also said it was her father’s favorite part of history. “Whenever I graduated, [my parents] said they’d take me out of the States to go wherever I wanted. [My dad] died one year prior to that photo.” I am torn between supporting her or not because, I see how Breanna didn’t mean any harm and how she has been interested in the Holocaust and wanted to go see the camp for a while. But, I also understand how people could think the picture is disrespectful because she is seen smiling where so many people were brutally killed. Either way, Breanna being cyber bullied is not okay. She has received many death threats which should hold up a red flag saying this whole situation has gone too far when really, it’s not that big of a deal. Yes, people’s lives were taken away at the Auschwitz Concentration Camp where she was smiling but, she was smiling in the picture out of being there because she had wanted to go and in my opinion, it was also a way of letting her father know she had made her dreams come true. I think it’s stupid how people waste their time being incredibly rude and hating on Breanna for such a harmless thing. I’ve received hate on social media before and it really hurts. Just like Breanna, I wouldn’t change anything I did. People are going to hide behind a keyboard and hate on others for sometimes no reason and that’s something we sadly, have to live with.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I am so impressed by your fabulous blog and doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete